World News

why you should definitely not use a wire brush for cleaning

As we dust our grills for warmer weather, researchers are warning us not to inspect your food before eating it, as it could be contaminated by the metal bristles of grill cleaning brushes. If swallowed, they can cause injury.

Wire brushes used to clean grills can cause serious injury if swallowed. A study published in the journal Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery estimates that between 2002 and 2014, more than 1,600 emergency room visits were for wire brush injuries.

While wire grill brushes can be an effective cleaning tool before or after you grill, bristles can easily fall out and get into food. These small metal threads can cause serious injuries to the mouth, throat and gastrointestinal area if swallowed.

A small, unrecognized silk can attach itself to various parts of the body, be it the throat, tonsils or neck area. If the hairs pass these areas without getting caught, they can become lodged in the esophagus, stomach, or intestines. The biggest concern is that it gets lodged in these areas and gets stuck in the intestinal wall. The hair could migrate out of the intestines and cause further internal damage. Wire brush injuries are a potential consumer safety concern.

Be careful before you start grilling

For their study, Dr. Chang and his colleagues get a picture of the extent of wire brush injuries in the United States.
To do this, they analyzed data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS). Using this information, the researchers were able to estimate the number of emergency room visits for wire brush injuries between 2002 and 2014. The team found that 1,698 visits were made for such injuries during that period. Most of these injuries involved the mouth, throat and tonsils, with some requiring surgery.

The researchers note that the incidence of wire brush injuries is likely even higher between 2002 and 2014 because the researchers excluded injuries reported by emergency centers and other healthcare facilities. The researchers hope their findings will help raise awareness among manufacturers and consumers of the potential health risks associated with wire brushes.

This will help you avoid injury from wire brushes

As grilling season approaches, it’s a time when wire brush injuries are most likely. Here are some tips to avoid a visit to the emergency room.

– Before cleaning your grill with a wire brush, check that the utensil is in good condition. Throw it away if there is any loose hair.

– Use other cleaning methods, such as B. Brushes with nylon bristles.

– Check your cooking grates before cooking food.

– After cooking, check the grilled food for loose hair.

If precautions fail and people experience difficulty swallowing or pain after eating grilled or bbq food, they should seek medical attention or emergency medical care and tell the doctor that you have been to a bbq or just a bbq.

* Presse Santé strives to convey health knowledge in a language accessible to all. In NO CASE can the information given replace the advice of a doctor.

Like our content?

Receive our latest publications directly in your mailbox every day free of charge

keywords

grill wire brush

Related Articles

Back to top button